12.06.2006

Dante

Dogs are amazing creatures. Most are very utilitarian, smart, respectful, and unconditionally loving. All their little weird quirks make them even more entertaining. The muted trumpet sound at the end of a big yawn, or the way just running in circles can put a smile on their's and everyone else's faces.

I recently got a puppy from the humane society here in Boulder. Although Dante's actual bloodline will remain a mystery, we're starting to believe he's a rare breed from Turkey called an Anatolian Shepherd. Anatolian's were bred to live with and guard livestock from predators, creating a smart, dominant, and independent mindset. If he is a true Anatolian his expected size is around 110-150 lb's, so he'll be no slouch. And it seems as if he's in a race to get there because everyday I notice something bigger on him. The best part is how un-uniform his growth is. One day I'll notice how short his tail is, then sure enough a couple days later it'll grow a couple inches to match the rest of his body. For a couple weeks I was convinced he would have a tiny head, but no, it just needed some more time to catch up to his massive stumps for legs and earth-shaking paws. In a couple months he'll really start to show his size, which I'm sure will provide hours of klutz comedy.

Some things I didn't predict having a dog would do. Now I find myself worrying like a nervous parent with a newborn. As much as everything is new to Dante, so is my reaction to his reaction. I'm constantly washed with feelings of paranoia, wonder, love, and joy. I've had him a month, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. I find his unconditional love admirable.

Tonight, on a quiet Tuesday evening, I found myself staring straight up at a nearly full moon with only the brightest stars able to match its pervasive glow. For no particular reason I started to ponder love. Unconditional love, lost love, old love, and lingering love. I realized that the most powerful is unconditional, because of nothing more than the fact that it is unconditional. Truly unconditional love has a power, a force in the universe. It inexorably guides people, animals, and the stars. As I was thinking, it dawned on me that there are only a few things I love unconditionally. My mom, my brother, and my dog. I think a big part of the reason that I do love them unconditionally, and only them, is because it is reciprocated back so naturally. I would do anything within my abilities for any or all three of these wonderful beings, and try to as much as I can.

Only after I had love and lost it could I understand love songs. Only after I experienced the betrayal of someone close could I understand truly what betrayal means. And only now, listening to the gentle rumble of a puppy in deep sleep, can I truly say that Dogs are absolutely Man's best friend, and Dante is mine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathe W. said...

Nate-that's absolutley beautifully written..truely from the heart.

9:48 AM, December 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home