9.16.2006

Looking Back

I ran into some of my old writing.. Here is one of the funnier examples.


-------




Having been a subscriber to “Car and Driver” for four years, I was not the least bit surprised to see Brock Yates botch another one of his columns, but this time he did it right out of the gate by producing one of the most atrocious run-on sentences ever to disgrace the otherwise unsoiled pages of “Car and Driver,” so you can understand my frustration with trying to read something so long and annoying, it just seems to keep going on forever getting bigger and bigger by the word. Like his ego. My problem is less Brock Yates’s views, and more the way he portrays them. Okay it is his views, too. I feel like every word on the page is being shouted at me, and I am not one to be shouted at. I tend to shout back.

In his article “Oh, how the mighty have fallen (and it ain’t over),” Brock Yates attempts to make a pity case for the three largest auto-manufacturers in the U.S. by slathering his filthy bias in every direction. To follow up his catastrophe of an opening paragraph, he insultingly compares the decline of the U.S. auto industry to the 9/11 disaster. But he can’t stop there, he goes on to label Hispanic and the youth buyers as people who prefer “rice-burners,” which I suppose means anything not made in the United States.

Yates’s whiny solution to this potential “doomsday” is so simplistic only he could have thought of it: “If any vestige of the American automobile industry is to survive, it must involve state-of-the-art vehicles that are not equal to but surpass the best imports…” I hope that three of the most successful companies in the history of the world have already thought of that. And finally he put the icing on the cake. He somehow weasels a plug for his wife’s book, a story about her son’s death, into the last paragraphs. It’s hard for me to have sympathy for Yates and his family after he insulted thousands of other American families within the first 100 words of his article.

Again, another column of “Car and Driver” has been wasted on the garbage typical of Brock Yates’s style. His pseudo-patriotism becomes a sham when contrasted with his ability to compare the worst attack in American history to Ford’s stock value. What do you expect from a person who has the ability to guiltlessly slander minorities and their buying habits? I took one good thing from this article, and that is the solace in knowing that if Brock Yates can spill his ink on the sacred pages of “Car and Driver” than I most definitely have a shot at doing the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home