6.07.2005

The biggest change to the PC market.. ever

The tech world was officially surprised a couple of days ago, when it was revealed that Apple was actually going to switch to Intel processors in the next two years. Not often in this age of rumors and assuming do things actually shock tech junkies anymore, but this one most definitely did. Don't get me wrong, there have been rumors of Apple switching to an x86 platform for some time now, but none of them have ever developed into anything, not until now.

So what does this mean? Should everyone run out and sell their Apple stock? Will their PC sales will diminish over the next year? Why not AMD instead of Intel?

First, I agree with Anand of www.anandtech.com that it will not hurt their sales, because of all the companies that can make a transition as large as this one, Apple and Intel have the best chance of anyone. Apple promises a transition implementing first in 2006, and then again the following year in higher end products by 2007. They promise software support for the PowerPC processor in their current computers for "a long time," and I believe them. All this means that if you're in absolute need of an Apple computer right now, you're not going to be hurt long term if you buy one, so their sales won't be hurt too much. Plus everyone knows the real driving force behind Apple right now, and thats the Ipod.

The next big question is why not AMD over Intel. As Steve Jobs said in his keynote at the WWDC, Intel offered the best "Performance per watt," which is just weird.. Actually right now and for awhile, AMD has offered the best performance per watt, and I dare you to find a hardcore tech site that doesn't recommend AMD. But while that is true, Apple I'm sure looked at a few more things, all of them being long term. Intel has a huge market share, despite AMD climbing the ranks, Intel remains dominant. This is largely due to a huge marketing budget and the already established security in markets around the world. Next, the ability to structure a deal of this magnitude, with benefits for both sides, was probably just not in the range of AMD's pocketbook. Lastly, Apple is looking very long term here, so if in the next 6 months or even year, if AMD holds on to the performance crown, it shouldn't concern Apple. Intel will eventually probably get it back, then lose it again. Thus is competition. One thing however I think a lot of people have missed is the mobile dominance Intel has with their Centrino notebooks. Just in the last weeks it was shown for the first time that notebooks outsold desktops, and clearly right now Intel's Pentium M processors are the best solution for size and speed. Thats just icing on the cake for Apple, who thrives on sleek, small, and simple designs. -2 points for using alliteration-

My personal feel on this is mostly indifferent. I already blew my budget on this new Apple Powerbook a couple of months ago, and I'm very happy with the purchase. I will admit a twinge of resentment for having not known that I could have waited and got a Pentium M processor in a year or so, which will absolutely crush this notebook when it comes to performance. But in reality, there was nothing I could do about it, I would be absolutely lost at school next fall without a computer, and I think this choice will suit me very well in the coming years. As for Apple and Intel, I'm caught with mixed feelings. On the one hand, I am supremely confident that this will stretch Apple's share in the computer market to what it hasn't seen in over a decade, and for that I am very pleased because Microsoft is a joke, and needs a kick in the pants. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to crank out some decent software in the next few years. The mixed feelings however, come from the fact that Intel is the collaborator, instead of AMD. I don't like any monopolies, but if I had to pick my poison I'd absolutely pick Intel over Microsoft. Most of that comes from the fact that Intel actually developed and designed a lot of the technology that brought their success, whereas Microsoft used adapted ideas and bullying to create theirs.

I know for a lot of people this crap doesn't matter, "oh its not a big deal.." but this will probably be the biggest swing in modern computer technology we have ever seen. For the first time Intel will be able to develop platform specific hardware, with a thriving and adaptable Apple community. This will allow for technologies that previously might have been shoved aside due to lack of backwards compatibility, community support, or fear of market loss, to be fully developed. David and Goliath decided to partner up and fight crime.


I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home