5.18.2005

The first, don't screw up.

I've had a lot of firsts, so I'm not stressing this first post too much.. but mainly I'm thinking right now -don't suck-

In one week a I journey to Santa Maria, Ca - http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Santa+Maria,+CA - to live with my best friend for a couple months before I head off to school in Colorado. His family bought property and needed someone to sit on it for 6 months so he volunteered, and being the great sitter I am, I was kind enough to offer my services also. From the description I got from him, its very isolated up in the hills, 20 minutes from the nearest highway. But its also 25 minutes from the beach, rent free, and perfect weather. There was no arm twisting on his part to get me to quit my ridiculous grocery store gig (last day is next wednesday), and now its just a waiting game. Which brings me to my first dilemma, transportation.

I have a bike, thats it, thats all. I've never really needed to drive - my work is about 6 miles each way from my current house, and with gas prices and insurance through the roof, it just doesn't seem worth it; my bike or public transportation gets the job done. So in mentioning my plans to go to CA, a crazy farm kid from eastern Oregon we call DUI (pronounced dooey),offered to drive down there with me, insisting his grandmother lived in the same area. Well, in actuality his grandmother lives in San Diego, not Santa Maria, which is an understandable mistake considering how much alcohol and THC this kid has consumed. But regardless, the difference is about 8 hours of driving, so instead we're just turning it into a productive road trip, with only one person returning. However, I'm concerned by the tremendous flakiness of DUI, because he only shows up to work about 60% of the time, and I'm not sure if I want to be putting all my eggs in a stoners basket. I'm going to make it clear to him tomorrow at work that if he for whatever reason decides to flake on me, I will be forced to kick his ass.

Its nearing midnight, and being that I am getting up at 5:00, its in my best interest to sleep, something I've never been a big fan of. Actually, its not so much the sleep that bothers me, its the getting up. That feeling of absolute dread that washes over your entire body as you realize you're getting up before dawn to waste away another 8 hours of your life, one shift at a time. I've been working at this store for almost a year and a half, and looking back I would have liked to have done a lot more then what I have in that time, namely not drink and party so much. But without this labor experience under my belt, I don't think I would have been able to appreciate school as much, and would not have pursued UC Boulder. Now that I have I'm very pleased to soon be in an educational environment, an environment a year ago I would have given an arm and a leg to avoid.


-Nate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home