5.24.2005

One More Day

I have only one more day of work, thats it, just one.

I don't think the feeling has quite set in yet, I'm so used to working, I don't really know what it feels like to not have 5 days of the week committed to something I can't control. More then anything I'll appreciate the lack of stress related to simple human drama that exists in the workplace of a grocery store. I've worked many jobs, but for some reason grocery stores seem to be a little microcosm of rumors and vicarious living. Everybody has their nose where it doesn't belong, and it starts to grind on you. Its like a local tabloid kind of, where if you do something exciting, wrong, or even just plain different, someone will find out which means everyone will find out. Most of the time its not what people know, but the fact that they know that bothers me.

I'm thinking about writing about my work in that store, maybe a book or screenplay, even though I don't have a clue as to how to do either. But I see movies based on the workplace that are funny, and have quality scenes, but some of the crap we pulled off in that store I have yet to see in any movie, even Clerks. Example: we had many different football competitions, and if you notice next time you go into your local grocery store, most aisles don't reach higher then 10 or 11 feet. So we (we being my best friend and former manager, Jacob, also the person who's house I'm going to live in in Santa Maria) would throw the ball as far as we could without hitting the ceiling, and see how many aisles we could get. I still hold the record for going from aisle 15 to 8. I took out some Clorox bleach in the process though. Casualties of war.

Poker in the backroom with rolls of quarters, racing on pallet jacks, throwing produce on the roof, ice fights. I need to at least write notes about these stories, if nothing more then to just not forget.

I will miss the job some, I will miss Jim, my dept. manager. He was a funny, very dry humor, well kept guy in his fifties. He was an early arriver and late leaver, always extremely stressed out, even if it was for little things. But the guy is a dream to work for, couldn't have any more respect for him, and I hope he gets in a better situation because he deserves it. In fact, if it wasn't for Jim I probably would have quit months ago.

Its nearing 1:00, so I'll be finishing my last shift on 4 hours of sleep. I thought about actually washing my work clothes so I look presentable on my last day, but it donned on me that I just plain don't give a rats ass. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home